How to Write a Reaction Paper
"Words can be like X-rays if you use them properly - they'll go through anything. You read and you're pierced" Aldous Huxley, Brave New World
Before reading a book, readers can be interested in the evaluation of this article or novel of other people. Do you like reading and leaving feedbacks on the literature blogs? Do you like arguing your opinion? There are a lot of ways to read books, articles, and essays and express your opinion about them. This is not a very easy process to explore an essay or article and analyze it. Sometimes, it's very difficult to write a paper that you can be proud of.
Very often students get a task to write different papers. Here, you will find out which features differs a reaction paper from others, which questions it should answer, and which parts it should consist of.
This is a sophisticated research of the text results of which you should write down in the work. You should use all your skills and knowledge that you have received before during your studying. If you don't know how to fulfill this assignment, you should read a guide on how to do this in the best way.
The structure of any academic paper is very important. That's why let's try to treat which structure this paper has. There are three important parts that have the same meaning for the work. Any of these parts, you can't omit.
As any other paper, this one starts from the introduction. This part should explain to a reader what this text is about, what new a reader will get to know when they read this text to the end, and which purpose this text has. The main target of the introductory part is to hook a reader from the very beginning.
For this, you should apply different literary methods including jokes, anecdotes, aphorisms, and proverbs, quotations, statistics, and facts from your real life. All of this will help a reader focus their attention on the main topic of the work. In this part of the paper, you should place an overview of the topic that you are going to cover in the body parts of the paper. Having read this part, a reader should get to know everything about the origin, history, and main facts of the topic.
After the introductory part, body paragraphs follow. They consist of the information that explains the topic of the research in detail. And, the last part of the paper is a conclusion. Here, you will find a summary of the whole text.
The Main Steps of Writing
Here, I'll bring you several important steps helping you write a paper. Among them:
- Before writing a paper, you should arrange a brainstorm and explore the main objects of the book or essay. Also, you can write down the most important questions and try to answer to them very briefly. This draft can be used for covering the topic more deeply and comprehensively;
- You should write an informative summary of the material;
- Focus your attention on the most important facts and key assisting factors;
- You should analyze the text of the book, essay, or article;
- At the end of the work, you should write a conclusion of the paper highlighting the most important points and providing a reader with the explanation of the main objects of the study.
Which Length Does the Paper Have?
This paper should consist of from 300 to 500 words. You can expand or shorten this text very easy, but at the end of the study, you should explain why you have done this as per instructions.
What is a Reflection Paper?
First of all, this paper contains an analysis of the text as mentioned earlier. That's why you should analyze an essay or novel using your skills and knowledge. This means you should well think about the subject of the paper. This type of paper requires answers to crucial questions. You should research the text using different methods.
Doing analysis, you can get your own knowledge and discover a learning process through different ways of the research. Writing this type of paper, you provide a reader with your reaction to another literature piece. You can use a comparative analysis.
To do this analysis, you can compare the main characters, plot and composition, literary methods and techniques to the main characters, plot and composition, literary methods and techniques of another novel. This can help research the history of appearing characters and plot, find the archetypes of the characters in the myths or epic literature. This allows a reader to understand a piece more deeply and liken to other pieces.
Tips on How to Write This Type of Paper?
- You should create an outline before writing a response. When creating an outline, you can find out that you have several reactions to the text and support each of them with arguments and pieces of evidence. Then, you can choose one of these theories that you can support with the most persuasive arguments. A clear outline will help you write a study and move in the right direction following the points of the outline. Also before creating an outline, you can arrange a brainstorm and ask the crucial questions that the study will answer. Different schemes will help you in this deal.
- When you are writing any type of the paper, you should start from the introductory part. It should contain a short summary of all the research. Having read this part of the text, a reader should understand the main purpose and subject of the reaction. This part must stimulate a reader to read the text to the end. They should understand what new they can draw up for themselves. This is very significant because if the reaction doesn't contain any new information, it's not interesting for anybody.
It should consist of around three sentences. You shouldn't omit all the necessary information including the author and the title of the book you are going to analyze. But the most important component of this part is a thesis statement. It should be placed at the end of the first paragraph and express the main claim of your analysis. It should be formulated very briefly and persuasively not confusing a reader with sophisticated constructions or phrases. Writing a thesis statement, you should use generally accepted lexis but not special lexis including jargonisms, slang words, and others.
- Writing body paragraphs, you should develop the main topic of your reaction and support the thesis statement with persuasive arguments and provements. This paragraph should start from the short sentence linking the introductory part and the body paragraphs. And, then you should get back to your thesis statement and provide a reader with arguments.
For instance, you can write that a central character of the novel is resembling a central character of the other novel or myth. You can research, which of them appeared the first, and who borrowed this character from another author. This observation should be supported by arguments in the next sentences. In the next paragraph of the body part, you can advance another theory and also support it with arguments. You should use different constructions including "I think", "I believe", "In my opinion", etc.
- Your study should end with a conclusion. This is a summary of all the theories that you have advanced in the body paragraphs. That's why this is a very important part of the research. It requires restating your thesis statements and mentioning all the main arguments supporting your idea. If you are not an author of this book, you can provide readers with a challenge. The more provocative your paper is, the more interest it causes in the reader. Don't stay banal and boring. Readers car read such response in other places. Be creative and try to cover the topic unusually.
- Before writing a response, you should read the article or essay several times. Also, during the reading process, you should do marks and write comments that will help you in writing a response. When you read an article or essay carefully and understand every word, this provides you with a strong support during writing your reaction paper. During writing, you can use all the quotations you have written down and provide with your opinion.
- The main feature of any reaction paper is that you need to justify your opinion and you can't leave any idea without arguments and pieces of evidence. This makes your study persuasive. To prove your own opinion, you can use different ways including your own experience and experience of your close friends, quotations from other books and articles referring to other studies.
- After writing your work, you should proofread and edit it making it possible for you to avoid different types of mistakes.
If you follow all these tips writing your response, you will come up successfully with it. Also, you shouldn't forget that you should be creative and don't afraid demonstrate your own opinion making your paper interesting and unique.